Are you involved in repetitive use of hands or fingers? Do your fingers get locked up while holding something or working with your hands?
This can be the trigger finger. Known as stenosing tenosynovitis in medical terms, it is being experienced by many people around the globe. The cause is due to the inflammation of the tendons that flex the fingers resulting in pain and tenderness.
If you are suffering from trigger finger or thumb pain and discomfort, remember that trigger thumb treatment is available, non-surgical for milder ones. In this post, you will get to know about the condition, its causes, symptoms, and trigger finger treatment at home.
What is Trigger Finger?
Trigger Finger is a painful condition that restricts hand or finger use. Your thumb or finger gets stuck in a bent position and the bent finger suddenly straights with a popping sound, similar to the release of a trigger. As tendon inflammation is the reason, you can assume the tendon sheath as a tunnel that is made up of tissue and connects muscles and bones for movement help.
When these tendon sheaths become swollen and irritated due to any injury or overuse, the gliding motion of tendons through the sheath becomes difficult. As a result, the finger tendon gets stuck in its sheath giving rise to the symptoms of the trigger finger. The continuous irritation in the tendon sheaths results in scarring and the formation of lumps.
Symptoms of Trigger Finger
Ring finger and thumb are generally affected by the condition, though any of the other digits or multiple fingers may also get affected. Specifically to the controlling hand, both the hands can get affected.
You know there is a possibility of trigger finger when the following symptoms get observed:
- Chronic soreness at the thumb or finger base
- A bump gets noticed at the finger base near the palm. This can cause pain.
- Tenderness around the finger base
- Sound of clicking or popping with finger movement
- Finger stiffness or locking sensation while bending the finger
- You feel pain while bending the finger
What gives rise to trigger finger?
The tendons work as a connector of bones to muscles. During the muscle contraction, the tendons pull on your bones for the finger movement. It is more common in women and will be seen in the middle ages, i.e. 40-60 years.
For those who are not very well aware of the causes and risk factors, the following factors increase the chances of its occurrence:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- If you are involved in repetitive activities like playing instruments that cause hand sprain
Trigger Finger is mostly observed in musicians, farmers, and industrial workers.
How Trigger Finger Get Diagnosed?
Trigger Finger gets diagnosed based on symptoms observed by the patients by the physician. You need to go under physical examination of the hand and clarify about medical history. The doctor will carefully analyze the movement tone and study for a bent finger. Moreover, the opening and closing of the hand will get noticed. The good thing is that there is no need for an X-ray or imaging test during diagnosis.
Trigger Finger Treatment
Suffering from trigger finger? The most common query of patients is how to treat a trigger finger condition? How safe is the treatment method? Is any natural treatment for trigger finger available?
Getting rid of the problems associated with the trigger finger is not that tough. There are some home remedies available for the patients that are proven to be effective in cure.
- Taking a break from the repeated activities for a few weeks
- Wearing a brace or splint to restrain the motion and giving rest to the hand
- Apply heat or ice to reduce the swelling of the area to relax the tendons and finger muscles
- Mild exercises can help in reducing inflexibility and also improves the motion range
- One can also choose medications like anti-inflammatory drugs to soothe the pain and inflammation
- Steroid Injections can be taken to get the issue resolved
Trigger Finger Wand
A new device is launched in the health industry as an inexpensive home treatment for trigger finger offering a safe and natural cure. Trigger Finger Wand is a must-try for the quick solution of problems associated with the condition. Visit our website to shop online.